Tips for Grocery Shopping on a Shoestring Budget

Every day people struggle with putting food on the table. It's not uncommon to work full time at a minimum wage job and make too much to qualify for food stamps but not make enough to feed yourself and family. And let's not even get into food deserts where you only have access to dollar stores for any groceries (check out this heartbreaking article on that topic) and while they seem like cheaper options, you actually pay more in the long run due to tiny sizes or lots of filler ingredients.

As someone who has had to cut their grocery budget to almost nothing in the past, I've learned the hard way how to maximize my grocery budget without skipping too much on nutrition. I've used budget food boxes from church programs, I've shopped food "thrift" stores, I've used point and rebate apps for extra food money, and I've turned every food scrap into a new meal in every way possible. Ten years ago, my monthly bills left me $10 in red every month before food and gas and I relied on my parents for grocery and gas money (and I am grateful every day for every last cent they have ever given me). Continue Reading

Tips for Grocery Shopping on a Shoestring Budget | Tice at Home


Popular Posts